Sir Edward Beatty House c.1857
Edward Wentworth Beatty was born at 13 Sullivan Avenue, Thorold, October 16, 1877 and lived there during his early childhood. He was the son of Henry Beatty, a native of Ireland and founder of the Beatty Line of steamships operating on the Great Lakes. Edward’s fondness for Thorold remained throughout his lifetime; the private car which he used to travel thoughout Canada displayed the name “Thorold”. In 1943 when he died in Montreal, services were held here and burial was in the family plot in St. Catharines, March 27, 1943.
His career is outstanding. Edward Beatty began employment in the legal department of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1901. He was promoted to President and Executive Chief of the world’s greatest privately-owned transportation system just before his 41st birthday. He was the first CPR president born in Canada and assumed the monumental task of managing the destiny of the great railway and steamship line…the office left by the retirement of Lord Shaughnessy. In 1924 he became Chairman of the Board.
Edward Beatty saw the company through peak periods as well as the depression. In the boom years the CPR spent many millions in improving its enormous and diverse property holdings. Edward Beatty was always a believer in the great future of the Canadian West, and he was an inspiration to young Canada. His interest in youth training had a practical application in the constant support he gave to movements concerned with the reclamation of wayward boys, particularly the Boys’ Farm at Shawbridge, Quebec – an institution for under-privileged juveniles.
Edward was accorded many honorary degrees by Canadian and United States universities for his labours on behalf of higher education. He was Chancellor of McGill and Queens Universities. In 1935 Edward Beatty became a Knight of the Grand Cross of the British Empire, being knighted by King George V.
This house was commemorated by the Ontario Heritage Foundation.